Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sunday

Yesterday was a beautiful Sunday!  We started our day with walking to church down the village road.  It was busy on the street and there was Buddhist chants over the village loud speaker but even so it is still the Lord's day!  After chores and breakfast the kids go to the church yard to play and wait for service so we went and hung out with them.



While we were hanging on the playground with some of the girls from the group came over with their hair done up in pretty braids.  They asked to do mine so I had my hair done before service.  This is a few of them and On, who is standing behind me did my hair.  She has the most beautiful smile but when the camera comes out she says she gets shy.


While sitting there the subject of birthday's came up.  In the middle of the bench is Joseph, Kit and Reams son and yesterday was his birthday.  So one the the girls asked when my birthday was.  So I told her month and day.  Then she told me her birthday month.  I'm wondering if they only know the months of their birthdays.  So to be inclusive I asked another girl who was sitting with us when her birthday was.  She said she didn't know and she turned away.  One of her friends quickly said that she didn't speak English and she was born in September.  I knew this girl enough to know that she speaks English very well.  After a quick moment I found myself sitting with this one child alone.  So I let her know that even though she might not know her birthday, the Lord does!  He knows because He picked a very special day for her to be born.  She got a big smile and she said "Yes, the Lord does know everything.  And He loves me!"  How utterly precious!  The Scripture tells us He fearfully and wonderfully created each one of us and He sees each one of us, individually!

One of the other girls told me her parents are dead but she has seen a picture of them.  When she was little her aunt took her in.  She said her aunt was very kind.  She said that others in the group were taken in my aunts and uncles who were not kind.  Then she came to the orphanage when her aunt could not take care of her any more.

After hanging out on the playground with the kids, adults, chickens, and moto's driving on the playground too we were told church was going to start.  We went in and the ladies sit on the left and the men sit on the right.  We were told we were allowed to sit together if we want so our family sat in the back row.  The people had us stand and clapped for us as a very warm welcome before service started.  


There was a Khmer video of Samson and Delilah and second one that we couldn't quite figure out.  I've got a guess as to what it was but I need to ask.  Then there was awesome band singing.   The band were kids from the orphanage and they were very good!  There was praying and reading of the Word.  Then Grace, Anna and I went to the kids spot where again the orphanage kids ran a very well done children's lesson and had games and snacks.  We obviously didn't understand the speaking but the book was on the healed leper and the kids were having a great time with the games and laughing and just enjoying.  They all say it's very fun and they like to go to church!  From their reaction I'm not surprised!  The church and kids class were held at the school and in one of their classrooms.  

After church we came home and hung around, cleaning up and we did some more laundry in the wash tubs.  We ate a bit and I took a photo of the fruit I was talking about.  It's called a "mun-kwaut" and it has that thick peel but you open it with your hands.  All our  kids like it!  I'll also stick in a picture of the bananas because they aren't the like ours in the states.  They taste the same but are slightly denser.  


Ream had all the kids gather and we got to introduce ourselves and tell a bit about us.  They seemed interested and there was a laughing so that's good :)  We got to go around the room and hear what each one would like to be when they grow up.  There are so many hopes and dreams in that room if these kids can work hard and be given opportunity through schooling being provided.  Many would love to come to the US on student visas and get an education to come back and make Cambodia a better place. There were kids who wanted to be interpreters, engineers, managers, nurses, accountants, police officers, military, designers, architecture!  Please pray that the Lord opens doors and wallets so that these kids can have a chance.  We got to tell them that no matter what they choose, having the relationship with Jesus is the most important.  And that with each job there will come temptations to do the wrong thing and the most important thing in life is to please Jesus.  


We had a leisurely afternoon playing with the kids in the main room.  There is one gathering room where they play, learn, meet, and eat.  Benjamin was in this group of boys, behind the one in the blue shirt having a good time.  We also played board games which is one of the Uy's favorite things to do.  We had a good time!


Kit and Ream had a missionary family staying with them and they took a trip to the states before we got here so we have not met them.  I believe they are there for 6 months and then will return.  Before they left the mom started a women's meeting at the church once a month for the ladies of the village.  It's a Bible study and then they have a snack and sometimes they will hand out some baby clothes or soaps.  There are women who are Christian and women who are not.  I was asked to give a favorite Bible verse so I shared Psalm 23.  Or I should say I told Wut, the group girl who was running it my selection and she read it.  Then I said just a couple things about it.  I think I was supposed to do more but didn't realize until they were all just looking at me :)  The women then discussed and asked us questions.  Myself, Kara and Selena went with a group of girls from the orphanage.  Below this picture is a photo of the Khmer Bible opened to Psalm 23.


On the way home, Kit had us carry a large Pachinko board he made for the End of School Carnival.  It was pretty funny for us because it was big, heavy and awkward!  We all took turns getting it back and as you can see we were also right by the road which makes everything more exciting :)  


 We got to go see the pigs which are across the street in someone else's stalls.  They take all the leftover rinds and food trash over for slop for the pigs.


Then we had a grand adventure out into the fields!!  We were invited to go crabbing in the dried rice paddies so we headed out.  And it was a ton of fun!  It was beautiful and the girls taught us how to find their holes and dig for crabs in the fields.  Joseph took the hoe and after a couple tries got very good at it.  At first the girls were laughing because he looked awkward but after he got the hang of it they kept telling me Joseph was very strong!  


As you can see the crabs are very small but they cooked them up and the Joseph and Benjamin ate them last night.  One of the girls also found a couple scorpion holes and we got to see some large black scorpions!


Then it got really exciting!!  The kids found a snake hole!  With a snake.  I hate snakes!!  So the kids got very excited and then the snake started coming out!  Joseph and Benjamin just stood by the hole while the rest of the girls ran away screaming, with me leading the way!!  I don't do snakes!  I tell my kids if there is a snake they are going to have to save themselves because I won't be coherent enough to help.  And I exampled that yesterday :) 





Another boy came to help kill it.  At first they weren't going to kill it, which goes against every grain in my body but then they saw it was poisonous so Joseph was the Master Snake Slayer!  Yay!  It was a yellow pit viper.  Ugh!

After the utter excitement we spent a wonderful evening out in the fields playing tag, being chased by the cows, hunting crabs, and playing a pick up game of baseball.  And Benjamin made the girls squeal by taking his retainer out :)  He loved that!




Just an absolutely beautiful and fun time out in the fields with the group!  Below is a picture I snapped because it is such a wonderful image of Cambodia to me :)  


And I have to say that I tried not to put as many :)'s in this time!  Joseph said to stop putting in smiley faces and that it makes me old  :)  :)  :) !!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment